How to apply for a primary school place

We are changing the way you apply for your child’s

school place, and you must now apply online.

You can apply for a school place at:

Starting Primary 1

If your child is ready to start Primary 1 in August 2019 you will need to enrol them in


You should enrol your child for Primary 1 if they turn 5 before the new school year starts

on 21 August 2019. If your child’s 5th birthday is after this date, but before the end of

February 2020, you can also choose to enrol your child to start Primary 1 in August


Every child is entitled to a place at their zoned school. You must apply for a place at

your zoned school using the online form, but you can also add other schools to your

application if you want to apply for a place for your child at a different school.

Deferred entry to Primary 1

You can request to defer entry to Primary 1 until August 2020 if your child’s 5th birthday

is between 21 August and 31 December 2019 – this may not always be granted but we

will consider your request carefully.

If your child’s 5th birthday is between 1 January and 28 February 2020 and you request

deferred entry, this will be granted.

Moving to another primary school

If your child already attends primary school in Aberdeen City and you want them to go

to a different one, you can apply online for a place at the school of your choice. This is

known as a placing request.

If you want your child to start at a new school in August, you need to make the placing

request by 15 March. If you want your child to start at a new school at any other time,

you can make a placing request at any time and we will deal with it as soon as possible.

We assess placing requests using a priority system. Please see the website at for more information.

Apply for a school place online

Before you can apply online you will need to:

• Set up an account. This is so you can track the progress of your application.

• Get together proof of your address, your child’s birth certificate, and any other

information specific to your case. You can upload clear scans or photos of documents

when you apply.

If you’re unable to access the internet to apply online, or if you need any help with the

application, you can visit your local library where the staff will be able to help you.

For more information and to apply online, visit




Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.