LOIRSTON PARENT COUNCIL
Minutes of meeting 7TH October 2009
Present: , Karen Paterson, Lesley Hill, Pam Chapla, Tracy Robinson, Shonagh Neave, Cath McLeish, Hazel Scott, Sharon Toseland, Scott Shearer, Michelle Monks, Michaela Towler, Sarah Boyne, Shona Grieg. Teachers: Miss Kay MacDonald, Mrs Trish Pert
Apologies: Lynn Meldrum, Tracy Leach, Fiona watt, Angie Balloch
Upcoming Events: Halloween disco will be on Tuesday 27th October. 6.15 – 7.15 pm for the 1st disco, 7.30 – 8.30 pm. If you haven’t volunteered to help, but are able to, please turn up on the night.
Christmas Fayre will be Saturday 28th November. This year it will take a slightly different format with the pupils running their own stalls. There will still be tea/coffee & butteries, Santa photos, home baking, kid’s raffle, stallholders and the book fayre, plus a tuck shop and a popcorn stall. Note there will be no toy stall run by the Parent Council, it was decided to organise a charity lorry collection – Lesley Hill to find out the details.
Karen put forward the idea of having a Spring/Easter Fayre, which was accepted by the Council.
It was decided to wait to the New Year to do a Family Bingo night.
Treasurer’s Report: Scott informed us that we have approximately £3,300, some of which will be used to purchase disco tuck shop supplies (Pam & Hazel to arrange this). Scott asked that any receipts being handed in for re-imbursement, could it be written on the back what the purchase is (if it doesn’t already state this) and what it is for e.g. disco. He informed us that we can now get debit cards for the account, and it needs to be decided how many and who will hold them.
Teacher’s Report: Miss MacDonald asked for any feedback on the Inspection Report. It was thought that it was a true reflection of things at that point. As the Inspection was carried out only 6 weeks after Miss MacDonald had joined us, she stated that as many things as possible had now been tackled (or were in the process of being so), achieving many things including a new maths scheme, jotter format & P1 literacy system. The teaching staff would be looking at homework, a new tracking system, and lots of other things after the holiday, but they can’t go any faster than their present speed! Miss MacDonald said they knew where they were headed and what needed to be achieved and she was very happy with the progress, and had the support of the new Director of Education, Annette Bruton. The next inspection will be February.
The Head Teacher’s post has been advertised with the closing date being 5th October. It is not know how many people have applied, but the process of deciding on interview candidates will start once Roddy Duthie, Education Officer, returns from holiday.
The budget for this year will be very tight, and the school has been told they have to save more than they will be given. However, it looks possible that the school will not have to cut a class.
New windows are being put in all round the building, with a lot of work being done in the holidays, starting with the hall and nursery. Pupils in the rest of the school will be moved for 1 day from their classroom to another part of the school while the windows are being fitted in that particular area.
The P7 trip to Dunolly has been booked and information will be sent to parents after the holidays.
Mrs Pert requested money for the nursery children’s Christmas presents which was agreed by the Council.
Date for A.G.M. The A.G.M. will be Wednesday 4th November at 6.15 pm in the Community Lounge.
A.O.C.B: Karen attended a Chairperson’s meeting, whose agenda included The Curriculum for Excellence and the amount of money being given to the Parent Council this year which will be less than last year at £540.
We are now fully insured.
Disclosures update: This is ongoing as bank statements are required in the Parent Council name as opposed to the PTA’s. Alistair to continue dealing with this.
Christmas Night out: to be on next agenda.
A.G.M. WEDNESDAY 4TH NOVEMBER 6.15 PM