Parent Council Charity Collection

DATE FOR YOUR DIARY!
A CONTAINER WILL BE PARKED AT THE SCHOOL ON TUESDAY 15TH DECEMBER TO COLLECT ANY UNWANTED CLOTHES, SHOES, BEDDING ETC (Not toys or bric a brac), & THE PARENT COUNCIL WILL RECEIVE MONEY PER TON OF DONATIONS FOR THE SCHOOL.
YOU WILL RECEIVE A DONATION BAG & LETTER OF EXPLANATION NEARER THE DATE.
PLEASE START SAVING NOW!!!!
(PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SCHOOL IS UNABLE TO STORE ANY DONATIONS)

Loirston Parent Council

LOIRSTON PARENT COUNCIL
Minutes of meeting 4th November 2009
Present: , Karen Paterson, Lesley Hill, Pam Chapla, Tracy Robinson, Shonagh Neave, Cath McLeish, Hazel Scott, Sharon Toseland, Michelle Monks, Michaela Towler, Sarah Boyne,, Kelly McGrogan, Mhairi Stewart, Lynn Meldrum, Lynn Eddie, Lynne Mennie, Fiona Watt, Hazel Rose, Claire Whiffin, Alistair Gilmore, Sonia Innes. Teachers: Miss Kay MacDonald, Mrs Trish Pert
Apologies: Tracy Leach, Angie Balloch, Shona Greig, Louise Bennett, Scott Shearer.
Welcome: Karen welcomed & thanked new members for coming and previous members for returning. She introduced herself and outlined the role of the Parent Council, including: to raise funds, improve school life for all, the Constitution, involved in interview process, in contact with education authority, opening communication channels with the relevant people etc.
Election of New Office Bearers: Karen has been Chairperson for the last 5 years and is looking to step down from this position. Nobody from the Council present on the evening were willing to take on this role, so it will be opened to the Forum, with the emphasis on Karen being able to help the elected person as much as possible during the transition period. Alistair Gilmore & Claire Whiffin were willing to help as much as possible as well in a Vice Chair position.
Cath McLeish, as present Secretary, has resigned from this position, and Sharon Toseland agreed to take this role, with Sarah Boyne as Vice Secretary.
Treasurer will remain as Scott Shearer.
Treasurer’s Report: In Scott’s absence, it was reported that the balance stands at £3547.74, with money still to be paid out for the nursery presents. The disco raised £229.51.
Teacher’s Report: Miss MacDonald reported that the teachers were happy to do stalls with their classes at the Christmas Fayre.
The new maths scheme will be available for parents to comment on at the Open evenings, and a questionnaire on homework will also be handed out so that a policy can be drawn up at a later stage.
On 16th November, the staff will be re-writing the Behaviour Policy & parents will get a copy.
Staff are looking at a new reading scheme, & within the school are lots of different inspection copies for staff to comment on before a decision is made on a new scheme.
Miss MacDonald concluded that the school is “moving in the right direction”.
Christmas Fayre: The fayre is on Saturday 28th November. A sub-committee was set up to organise this, consisting of: Claire Whiffin, Mhairi Stewart, Hazel Rose, Hazel Scott, Pam Chapla, Lesley Hill, Karen Paterson, Cath McLeish.
A.O.C.B: Karen will contact the Thistle Hotel to arrange a date for the P7 Posh Night 2010.
Tuesday 15th December will be a charity bag day, where parents/carers are asked to donate unwanted clothes, bedding, shoes etc in bags provided, and a container will be at the school for the donations. We will get £400 per ton of donations. A 2nd date will be 11th May 2010. Cath will put an advance warning note of the December’s date out to parents.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday 18th November at 6.30 pm.

YOUR SCHOOL NEEDS YOU!!!!!

LOIRSTON PARENT COUNCIL ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING WEDNESDAY 4TH NOVEMBER @ 6.15PM

 

ALL WELCOME, NEW INPUT REQUIRED, NEW IDEAS APPRECIATED.

 

ALL OUR KIDS’ BENEFIT FROM THE WORK OF THE PARENT COUNCIL. THE SCHOOL ALSO BENEFITS BUT WE NEED NEW MEMBERS AND ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE, ANY QUERIES TO – KAREN – 01224 248862

Parent council Minutes 07.10.09

LOIRSTON PARENT COUNCIL

Minutes of meeting 7TH October 2009

Present:  , Karen Paterson, Lesley Hill, Pam Chapla,  Tracy Robinson, Shonagh Neave,  Cath McLeish, Hazel Scott, Sharon Toseland, Scott Shearer, Michelle Monks, Michaela Towler, Sarah Boyne, Shona Grieg. Teachers: Miss Kay MacDonald, Mrs Trish Pert

Apologies:  Lynn Meldrum, Tracy Leach, Fiona watt, Angie Balloch

Upcoming Events:  Halloween disco will be on Tuesday 27th October. 6.15 – 7.15 pm for the 1st disco, 7.30 – 8.30 pm. If you haven’t volunteered to help, but are able to, please turn up on the night.

Christmas Fayre will be Saturday 28th November. This year it will take a slightly different format with the pupils running their own stalls. There will still be tea/coffee & butteries, Santa photos, home baking, kid’s raffle, stallholders and the book fayre, plus a tuck shop and a popcorn stall. Note there will be no toy stall run by the Parent Council, it was decided to organise a charity lorry collection – Lesley Hill to find out the details.

Karen put forward the idea of having a Spring/Easter Fayre, which was accepted by the Council.

It was decided to wait to the New Year to do a Family Bingo night.

Treasurer’s Report: Scott informed us that we have approximately £3,300, some of which will be used to purchase disco tuck shop supplies (Pam & Hazel to arrange this). Scott asked that any receipts being handed in for re-imbursement, could it be written on the back what the purchase is (if it doesn’t already state this) and what it is for e.g. disco. He informed us that we can now get debit cards for the account, and it needs to be decided how many and who will hold them.

Teacher’s Report: Miss MacDonald asked for any feedback on the Inspection Report. It was thought that it was a true reflection of things at that point. As the Inspection was carried out only 6 weeks after Miss MacDonald had joined us, she stated that as many things as possible had now been tackled (or were in the process of being so), achieving many things including a new maths scheme, jotter format & P1 literacy system. The teaching staff would be looking at homework, a new tracking system, and lots of other things after the holiday, but they can’t go any faster than their present speed! Miss MacDonald said they knew where they were headed and what needed to be achieved and she was very happy with the progress, and had the support of the new Director of Education, Annette Bruton. The next inspection will be February.

The Head Teacher’s post has been advertised with the closing date being 5th October. It is not know how many people have applied, but the process of deciding on interview candidates will start once Roddy Duthie, Education Officer, returns from holiday.

 The budget for this year will be very tight, and the school has been told they have to save more than they will be given. However, it looks possible that the school will not have to cut a class.

New windows are being put in all round the building, with a lot of work being done in the holidays, starting with the hall and nursery. Pupils in the rest of the school will be moved for 1 day from their classroom to another part of the school while the windows are being fitted in that particular area.

The P7 trip to Dunolly has been booked and information will be sent to parents after the holidays.

Mrs Pert requested money for the nursery children’s Christmas presents which was agreed by the Council.

Date for A.G.M.  The A.G.M. will be Wednesday 4th November at 6.15 pm in the Community Lounge.

A.O.C.B: Karen attended a Chairperson’s meeting, whose agenda included The Curriculum for Excellence and the amount of money being given to the Parent Council this year which will be less than last year at £540.

We are now fully insured.

Disclosures update:  This is ongoing as bank statements are required in the Parent Council name as opposed to the PTA’s. Alistair to continue dealing with this.

Christmas Night out:  to be on next agenda.

A.G.M. WEDNESDAY 4TH NOVEMBER 6.15 PM

Loirston School Bulletin

Dear Parents/Carers                                                                        1 October 2009

We have reached the end of a very busy first term.  We hope you all enjoy the October holidays and that the weather is kind to us.  We also hope that all our families and staff have found the start of the school year a pleasant one.  School finishes at 3.15pm on Friday and re-opens on Monday 26th October.

HMIE Return Visit

You should all have received a copy of our follow up inspection report stating progress up until June.  Should you have any queries or have not received a copy please contact the school.

Work on Building

During the holidays there will be contractors around the school replacing windows.  Work will be ongoing and as a result the turning point at the front of the school will be out of use.  The contractors require the space for storage and must be kept clear.  Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

Committees

This session we have set up two committees with the pupils.  We have a Pupil Council and an Eco Committee who will be working to improve all aspects of school life.    There are representatives from each class.  Next term we will give details of their activities

Homework during holidays

We have received a number of requests from parents for homework when children are taken out of school prior to the end of term.  It is a policy of the school not to give out homework on such occasions.

Pick up of Children

On a number of occasions we have had parents opting to pick up other children from the playground that have not been collected at the end of the school day.  We are aware that on such occasions parents are being helpful, however this has lead to confusion as to where children are. Therefore can I appeal to you not to pick up any child without having planned this with their parents.  Thank you for your support on this matter.

Reminder

As stated in the previous bulletin dogs are not permitted at any point on school grounds.  This is a City Council policy.

 Wear Pink Day

Someone is diagnosed with Breast cancer every 11 minutes in the UK.  By holding a Pink Friday event we can help provide some much needed support to this charity.  We will be having our Pink Day on Friday 30th October.  The children and staff are encouraged to wear something pink that day and are asked to contribute £1 which will be donated to the charity.  Last year the school raised £630.29 which would have made a significant difference.

 Halloween Disco

We are having a Halloween Disco on the Tuesday 27th October.  The cost of entry is £1 per pupil and there will be a tuck shop. Entry and exit will be through the red unit doors. Please provide a note if you are happy for your child to walk home alone.     

P1 – P3  6.15 – 7.15pm

P4 – P7 7.30 – 8.30pm

 Box Tops for Books Scheme

The school has just registered for this scheme.  The tokens can be found on Nestle products especially cereals.  The more tokens we get the more books we can get for the school.  Please hand in your tokens to the school office.  Again, many thanks for your support.

Spree Books

Thank you to everyone for contributing to the school by buying a spree book.  The school made £705 and this will be put to good use for resources this session   

Dates for your Diary

Monday 16th November – IS Day, School closed to children

Monday 30th November – IS Day, School closed to children

Friday 18th December – Last day of term

Thursday 5th & 12th November – Parent Interviews (times to be advised)

Wednesday 4th November  – Parent Council A.G.M. – All welcome

Neighbourhood Bulletins

Aberdeen City Council are now producing  quarterly Neighbourhood Bulletins.

If you live or work on the Cove or Altens area it is hoped that you will find something of interest in the bulletin. Whether you are looking for information on local services, want to know about how local projects are progressing or want to know what’s happening elsewhere that might be of interest, this quarterly Bulletin aims to keep everyone informed.

The bulletins and Neighbourhood Community Action Plans can be accessed electronically at http://www.communityplanningaberdeen.org.uk/Internet/home.asp