It has been necessary to review procedures relating to maintaining a safe and secure environment for pupils. It is a school responsibility to know who is in the building at any given time. Following concerns, Mr. R. Duthie, Education Officer, visited school on Friday to consider the issue from a new perspective.
It was decided, in consultation with senior management and catering staff that the following pilot will operate for six weeks from January 7th 2008.
- School lunch tickets will be sold on Monday mornings in classroom areas. Since menus are issued well in advance, this will help you and your child identify which days they will have a school lunch. It would be most helpful if you could purchase a book of tickets and issue them to your child as necessary. For younger pupils a purse or box placed in the schoolbag with the number of tickets required would be appreciated by catering staff.
- Single tickets will be available for purchase at lunchtimes after pupils with tickets are served. This obviously means that pupils will have money in school for which they will be responsible.
- All pupils should enter school by their respective unit door which will open at 9.00 a.m. Parents of the younger pupils in the red unit are asked to say their ‘goodbyes’ before the pupils enter school. The doors will then be closed at 9.05 a.m. and pupils arriving late should enter by the main school door.
- Parents of Nursery children should use the Nursery door to enter and exit the building. I understand that a number of parents collect Nursery pupils and then wait in the school foyer for children who do not finish class until 3.15 p.m. If this is the case, you are requested to walk round the building to the front of school and then leave to meet your child at the respective unit door at 3.15 p.m.
- All parents should enter school by the main door and identify themselves to office staff who will attend to their enquiry.
I do hope you appreciate the need for the above measures and if you are unclear about a particular situation, please ask.
I will write to you at the end of the 6-week pilot time to give you an update.
Thank you for your co-operation in this very important matter.
M. S. MCPHEE
Depute Head Teacher
c.c. R. Duthie (Education Officer) K. Watt (Schoo