“Self Entry System”

We would like to thank parents and children for their support whilst we are trialling the self entry system to reduce the time it takes for the children to enter the school. As with anything new in a trial period there are often adjustments which need to be made.
Just to clarify, children will line up as normal and as soon as the door is opened by a PSA the first line, P1a, P3a and P7a will enter school first. The next line will follow on as soon as the previous line goes in rather than waiting to be directed by an adult. This will hopefully make enable the children to enter the school in a quick and calm manner. We will continue to review the self entry system whilst we are trialling it.

Loirston Newsletter – Update November 2017

Loirston Newsletter – Update November 2017
SAFETY
Can we remind you that in the interest of the safety of your child please do not use the school car park to drop off or pick up children before or after school. It is acceptable practice if you have made a previous arrangement with the school.
Can we also remind you that in the interest of the safety of all our children please report to the office on arrival at school. The office staff will issue you with a badge which will allow you to walk to your destination. Thank you.
Pupil Support Staff
Following a meeting with the above staff group it has been decided that as of now the pupils should refer to PSA staff using their title i.e.
Mrs…….plus their surname
Miss…..plus their surname
Please see the list below:
Jackie Mrs. Barrister
Susan Miss Canney
Brenda Mrs. Flett
Jane Mrs. Mathieson
Doreen Mrs. Nelson
Linda Mrs. Somers
Morag Mrs. Stachan
Carol Mrs. West
Claire Mrs. Whiffin
Sarah Miss Work
Maureen Mrs. Middleton School Administrator.
We appreciate that this will not change overnight but gradually the pupils will accept the amendment. We very much appreciate your support with this change. Thank you.
Self – Entry

As we approach a colder weather period as of Monday we will be using a ‘self-entry’ system for pupils coming in to school. This means that at the beginning of each day, after break and lunch time, the PSA staff will open the doors for the pupils to enter school. The class teacher will either be in the peg area or in the class area. Thank you.

Loirston School Parent Council

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

ATTENDED
Parents – Ann Proctor (AP), Emma Kennedy (EK), Gillian Robertson (GR), Karen Strachan (KS), Shona Vance (SV), Shonagh Neave (SN), Kelly Gordon (KG), Fleur Tarling (FT), Claire Cowe (CC), Jacqueline Murdoch (JM)
Norma Mitchell, Karen McClymont, Yvonne Buchan, Vicky Ross, Rebecca Mann, Lynn Robertson, Susan Strachan
School Representatives – Mrs Mitchell and Miss Anderson

APOLOGIES
NONE

AGENDA
• Proposal and voting in of Committee Office Bearers
• Adoption of Accounts
• Treasurer’s Report
• School Update
• AOCB

SCHOOL UPDATE
• Mrs Mitchell addressed the school report which was released at the start of the new school term. The report has highlighted positive areas within the school but also identified a number of areas of weakness that require action.
• An action plan has been drawn up and awaits approval. Once approval has been given, the plan can be shared with parents. The plan concentrates on;

(i) Review of the curriculum as part of a city wide review
(ii) Overview of all planning and progression for children
(iii) Cultivating better parent engagement
(iv) Behaviour policy to be tightened up and consistently applied throughout the school

• Mrs Pert is to head up pupil and parent involvement while Miss Anderson concentrates on curriculum planning and progression.
ACTIONS
 Mrs Mitchell stated she would be sending out parent slips to gauge what parent support is available to the school e.g. is there time that can be spared? A skill that can be shared?

OFFICE BEARER’S 2016/17
Chairperson Ann Proctor Standing Down
Vice Chair Fleur Tarling Standing Down
Treasurer Kelly Gordon Standing Down
Secretary Emma Kennedy Standing Down

OFFICE BEARER’S 2017/18
POSITION STANDING NOMINATED SECONDED
CHAIRPERSON FLEUR TARLING Ann Proctor Gillian Robertson No objections
VICE CHAIRPERSON JACQUELINE MURDOCH Ann Proctor Kelly Gordon No objections
TREASURER KELLY GORDON Karen Strachan Fleur Tarling No objections
SECRETARY VICKY ROSS Kelly Gordon Jacqueline Murdoch No objections
VICE SECRETARY YVONNE BUCHAN Emma Kennedy Shonagh Neave No objections

TREASURER’S REPORT
• Accounts have been audited and given an unqualified report.
• Accounts presented and accepted.
• The current bank balance taking into account outstanding cheques to be cashed is £10,294.20.


FIRST MEETING OF NEW COUNCIL

ATTENDED
Parents – Ann Proctor (AP), Emma Kennedy (EK), Gillian Robertson (GR), Karen Strachan (KS), Shona Vance (SV), Shonagh Neave (SN), Kelly Gordon (KG), Fleur Tarling (FT), Claire Cowe (CC), Jacqueline Murdoch (JM)
Norma Mitchell, Karen McClymont, Yvonne Buchan, Vicky Ross, Rebecca Mann, Lynn Robertson, Susan Strachan
School Representatives – Mrs Mitchell and Miss Anderson

SCHOOL UPDATE
 Miss Anderson advised that the cost of the P7 Dalguise trip which is paid for by parents has increased this year, compared to last. Miss Anderson asked if the parent council would pay for the bus to lighten the financial burden on parents.
 Miss Anderson asked what the parent council wanted to do for P7 leaver’s presents.
ACTIONS
 Miss Anderson to obtain current quote for the Dalguise coach and pass to parent council for discussion.
 Miss Anderson to liaise with P7’s whether they would like hoodies or USB sticks this year and pass to parent council for discussion.

HALLOWEEN DISCO
• Date set for Tuesday 7th November 2017.

CHRISTMAS FAYRE
• Due to the unavailability of tables for the 2nd of December, the fayre date has been moved to Saturday the 25th of November 2017.

AOCB c/fwd – OPEN ITEMS
• Further discussion held over the fact the wildlife garden while having a couple of good trees and plants does not fulfil the criteria of being a wildlife garden as it is not being maintained. At present it is overgrown and full of litter and dog mess. The option of a clean-up and trim of the garden and surrounding hedging was discussed and agreed.
• Also discussed was the funding that was raised by the Eco-Committee a few years ago for fencing. Local businesses gave money towards sponsoring panels of fencing but none were ever erected.

• Attainment Fund – EK raised the BBC news article which highlighted schools in Scotland will be receiving money to help raise attainment. Money received is based on numbers of children receiving free school meals. Loirston will receive £16,800 in April 2017. Mrs Mitchell will be issuing a letter in due course regarding the take up of free school meals versus eligibility for them.
• Mrs Mitchell confirmed the parent council can have bulletin input.
• TR raised the idea of a chocolate equivalent to the bottle stall at the Christmas fayre.

ACTIONS
 Mrs Mitchell to engage the parent council for input into the next bulletin.

DATES FOR THE DIARY
• Discos
P1-3 doors open at 6pm, disco from 6.15pm to 7pm
P4-7 disco from 7.15pm to 8.15pm
• Halloween Disco – Tuesday 7th November 2017.
• Christmas Fayre – Saturday 25th November 2017.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING – TUESDAY 3rd OCTOBER AT 6.30PM IN THE SCHOOL COMMUNITY LOUNGE ALL PARENTS/ CARERS WELCOME.
PLEASE CONTACT US AT: PCloirston@aberdeen.npfs.org.uk or find us on Facebook.