KELLY’S CATS COMPETITION

One of our P4 pupils, Lennox Greig, won an in-school competition for a painted design for a replica model of a Kelly’s Cat.  The original Kelly’s Cats used to be a decoration on the Union Terrace Bridge in Aberdeen.  This year schools were invited to decorated a replica model to be displayed at the Aberdeen City Start Awards Ceremony.  The models had to reflect a Hollywood theme.  Lennox has designed our model to be Captain America.

All the cat designs from across Aberdeen City will be on display at Marischal College from Wednesday 5th to Wednesday 19th June.

The Lord Provost of Aberdeen will be choosing a winner for “best design” and the school of the chosen cat will receive an award at the Star Awards ceremony on Thursday 20th June at the Beach Ballroom.

As a school we have our fingers crossed that Lennox’s design comes out on top.

OUTDOOR LEARNING GROUP

The Outdoor Learning Group are looking for donations of the following items that hopefully parents/carers might have spare:

– Old pots and pans

– Bricks

– Planks of wood (nails removed)

– Small cable wheels

– Pipes/guttering

– Ropes

– Materials for den building (old bedding/shower curtains)

– Clothes pegs

Miss Carle who organises the Outdoor Learning Group is happy for people to email her directly to check donations – RCarle@aberdeencity.gov.uk.  We want to avoid having too much of the same material because there is limited space to store it.

 

 

STAFFING UPDATE

Dear Parents/Carers,

Miss Katrine Reid will retire at the end of the current session.  Miss Reid has provided valued and expert support for children at Loirston in her role as ASN teacher.  She will leave Loirston with the very best wishes for the future from our whole school community.

Due to personal circumstances Miss Reid will be on extended leave from the end of this week until the end of term.  The school has plans in place to be able to continue the support being provided for the individuals and groups of children Miss Reid currently works with.

Regards,

Colin Nicol

Head Teacher

Loirston School

PARENT COUNCIL – MINUTES – MEETING 8 MAY 2019

LOIRSTON PRIMARY SCHOOL PARENT COUNCIL

DRAFT MINUTES OF MEETING HELD 8TH MAY 2019

 

ATTENDED

Parents – Jacqueline Murdoch (JM), Karen McClymont (KMC),  Fleur Tarling (FT), Karen Strachan (KS), Kelly McGroggan (KM) Gillian Robertson (GR), Nicola Argo (NA), Miroslaw Jackiewicz (MJ), Terri Whyte (TW), Judith Mann (JM) Lauren Allanach (LA), Kelly Gordon (KG)

School representatives – Mr Nicol (CN), Mrs Hidson (KH), Alison Stewart (AS)

Apologies – Emma Kennedy, Patricia Pert

 

AGENDA

  • Welcome/Apologies
  • Approve minutes of last meeting/review outstanding actions
  • Fundraising committee update
  • Easter Bingo
  • Upcoming events
  • Tablet funding project
  • Treasurers Report
  • School Update
  • Nursery follow through visit by Care Inspectorate
  • P7 transition
  • Staffing update
  • Chairperson Notes
  • Constitution update
  • Termly meetings
  • Improvement Plan workshop feedback
  • AOB
  • Dogs in playground
  • P7 Dalguise trip 2020
  • Nursery engagement
  • Parents nights
  • Schedule for fibre coming to the school
  • Other

WELCOME AND APOLOGIES

The meeting was opened at 6.30pm by the chairperson who welcomed everyone and thanked them for their attendance – KG

APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING/REVIEW OUTSTANDING ACTIONS

Minutes proposed – Fleur Tarling

Minutes Seconded – Jacqueline Murdoch

OUTSTANDING ACTIONS UPDATE

QIO attendance at meeting – provisional meeting date 25th June 2019 – to be confirmed – CN

Questionnaire issued to pre-school nursery children w/e 10th May regarding parent council and events, result of survey to be shared at next meeting – FT

Review and agree changes to free raffle – to be added to the agenda for next school year meeting – KMC

Cheques passed to school for play dale and iPad – KH to confirm if they have been cashed as still cheques outstanding from bank statement at end of April

Receipts provided for class contributions and EK provided cash to Mrs Pert

Home learning – agenda item – covered under AOB

Internet safety workshop provisional date 28th May 9-10am or 4-5pm – will be communicated – CN/KH

Improvement plan workshop held – KG/CN

Behaviour policy outline and summary for parents is on website under specific heading – KH

Newsletter issued prior to the end of last term – KG

Draft constitution still in progress and will be provided at the next meeting – KG

Mini workshop regarding engaging parents to be held at next meeting – EK

FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE UPDATE

Easter bingo: £400 profit, well attended, positive feedback

Book fayre: planning pack received, Helpers needed to run pm w/c 3rd June , one morning for morning nursery and at parents nights.

Summer disco: 11th June, letter/invites to go out in pre school children’s packs – date of P1 induction confirmed as 28th May, nursery induction June 18th.  Parent Council will serve tea/coffees and speak to parents.

P7 leavers prom – information to go out this w/c 6th May and numbers confirmed by 31 May. P7 USBs costed and order to be placed.

Tablet funding project – Costs need to include increased storage units and possible upgrade for WiFi facility. Meeting held 29th with Mrs Hidson agreed shared responsibility for fundraising. No target amount – fundraising monitor, posters and target monitor in school. Still at the pre-planning stage, next steps are to agree with children and staff proposed events and timetable.


TREASURERS REPORT

The bank balance at 29th April is £7,606.03.  There are a few outstanding cheques, including the play dale £562.50 and iPad contributions £2,825.  KH to investigate these specifically.

Still to make the bus contribution for the p7 trip, an invoice is required and details of who is being paid – KH to provide.

Accounts preparation is well underway and will be with the Auditor within the next couple of weeks

SCHOOL UPDATE

Nursery follow through visit by care inspectorate in March – communication will be issued in near future but feedback is very positive.

P7 transition – dates:

STEM event – 9th May – workshop covering careers in renewable energies industry

13th May – open session with Lochside head teacher to allow questions from parents to address any concerns

13th and 14th June – 14th will include a presentation from STEM workshop from teams

Staffing:

Mrs Forbes replacement to be confirmed, first round of interviews resulted in no suitable candidate

MRs K Reid retiring at end of this term – vacancy to be advertised

Nursery engagement

Alison Stewart attended on behalf of the nursery- consult with parent council on improving communication with nursery staff and parents. Agreement to issue survey to parents, use nursery noticeboard for posters for events, ensure blogs are for school and nursery and attend nursery events to allow parent to speak to parent council members- proposed next event on 23rd May am session.

CHAIRPERSON UPDATE

Constitution update is still in progress and draft will be issued at next meeting – KG

Termly meetings – ACPF meeting 13 May, members welcome. Mini workshop arranged by Donna Cuthill on 13th June on running a cooperative meeting and gathering parents views – all parent council members welcome. Email pc if you would like to attend.

Improvement plan workshop – not as well attended as would have hoped but approx. 10 parents attended.  Thanked staff for running workshops and feedback was that it was very informative and a good opportunity to understand the improvement plan and to provide feedback. Feedback request to all parent forum to be issued – format still to be agreed – CN

AOB

Issue with dogs in the playground – renew signage and issue communication through school to all parents – CN/JM

Parents nights – purpose of this is to discuss next steps in key learning and to discuss any concerns parents/teachers may have. Parent council will serve tea/coffee, run the book fayre and man the information stall for parent council each night. Discussion on feedback/opportunity to discuss change in homework policy to reassure parents on changes. Communication to be issued – CN

Schedule for fibre coming to school – some Aberdeen city schools have and some don’t. KH to contact IT to ask the guidelines on when Loirston may get Fibre but there are no current concerns on speeds etc.

Cove Gala – 1at June – stall to be run by parent council and school. Request for volunteers from school and parent forum to go out w/e 10th May – KMC

Behaviour policy – school open to feedback and welcome parents to arrange a meeting to discuss -KH

New classes for next term – there are a number of variables that are required to be reviewed. This includes staff discussing the children’s needs, where the children are academically and teaching allocation among others.

P7 hoodies – school have no strict policy on uniform but would prefer if hoodies are purchased that they do not infringe copyright given to Tesco and therefore no badge is required.

Report issued last term – use of levels achieved to be clarified on the information sheet provided to parents.  Reports were used to show what level children had achieved and some next steps in learning. Parents evening then gives the opportunity to focus on next steps, areas of concern and any additional support requirements.